Childhood Memories

I am Doris Oden Darrow, born in the late 1920s in a coastal suburb of Los Angeles, California, known as Venice. In the 1980s, my grown children asked me to write down as many memories from my childhood as I could. In 1987 I sat down at our old Royal typewriter and began my first blog. It is reproduced here, as faithfully as possible. The dates are manufactured, as Blogger's tools only allow dates as far back as Jan 1, 1999.

Tuesday, October 05, 1999

Weather Or Not

Where we grew up it rained in the winter, but seldom got below freezing. One time, there was ice on all the puddles. On my way to school, I pretended to ice skate on one and slipped and fell full length, and had to go home and completely change everything. Daddy had to drive me to school so that I wouldn't be late.

Mom came into our bedroom one morning and said not to be afraid, but come look out the window. There had been a cloudburst during the night. Water was everywhere as far as we could see, and clear up to our doorstep. My sister Mary took a picture of 12920 Rubens Ave.

Another time, Mom came into our bedroom one night, and said not to be afraid, but come look out the window. The slaughter house barn was on fire down on Alla Road. We put our shoes on and walked down Rubens to watch it burn.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home