Childhood Memories

I am Doris Oden Darrow, born in the late 1920s in a coastal suburb of Los Angeles, California, known as Venice. In the 1980s, my grown children asked me to write down as many memories from my childhood as I could. In 1987 I sat down at our old Royal typewriter and began my first blog. It is reproduced here, as faithfully as possible. The dates are manufactured, as Blogger's tools only allow dates as far back as Jan 1, 1999.

Tuesday, September 28, 1999

The Real Thing

On the way home from school, my sister Rachel and I would buy a quart of milk for eleven cents of our own hard-earned money. Now and then, we even bought a cube of real butter, but we had to have butter ration coupons for that.

Rachel and I could drive up Alla Road and over Maxella Avenue to the dairy and get bottled milk. We would go through the drive-up and hand our empty bottles out the car window, and load the full bottles back in through the window.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home