Childhood Memories

I am Doris Oden Darrow, born in the late 1920s in a coastal suburb of Los Angeles, California, known as Venice. In the 1980s, my grown children asked me to write down as many memories from my childhood as I could. In 1987 I sat down at our old Royal typewriter and began my first blog. It is reproduced here, as faithfully as possible. The dates are manufactured, as Blogger's tools only allow dates as far back as Jan 1, 1999.

Thursday, October 07, 1999

Hair

Mom washed our hair by laying us on the sinkboard and letting our hair down into a dishpan. She rinsed my hair with lemon juice "to keep it blonde."

After my hair was washed, I could go outside in the sunshine to let it dry. As I was walking back and forth in front of my house at 12927 Rubens Avenue, a man and woman in a car slowed down and stared at me. Then they drove by again and stared at me. I got scared and went in the house. Soon, these people were knocking on the front door. They were Hoyt and Bernice Futrell, Daddy's cousins from Texas. They had seen a photo of the family, and thought I was Rachel with her long hair.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kel said...

Hi Doris
Happened across your blog and think it's a great idea to use it as a way of sharing memories for the grandchildren. At the same time it gives readers all over the world a glimpse into another way of life.

February 10, 2005 1:19 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home