Childhood Memories

I am Doris Oden Darrow, born in the late 1920s in a coastal suburb of Los Angeles, California, known as Venice. In the 1980s, my grown children asked me to write down as many memories from my childhood as I could. In 1987 I sat down at our old Royal typewriter and began my first blog. It is reproduced here, as faithfully as possible. The dates are manufactured, as Blogger's tools only allow dates as far back as Jan 1, 1999.

Saturday, September 18, 1999

Cooking Class

In seventh grade, at Venice High School, all the girls had to take "Cooking." My first attempt at making a cake at home was almost a disaster. Mom was taking a nap, and I took the big mixing bowl in and woke her up, showing her this big ball of dough. She immediately discovered that I had measured the flour in a 2-cup measure, so my two cups of flour was actually four. She added a few more ingredients, and helped me roll out my dough and we made the BEST cookies ever!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmmm what good memories. Makes me think of my own childhood memories and the ones my Grandmother used to tell to us. ...the way the sand poofed through your barefoot toes...classic!

Thanks for doing this.

Wendy Cohen

January 04, 2008 9:48 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home