Childhood Memories

I am Doris Oden Darrow, born in the late 1920s in a coastal suburb of Los Angeles, California, known as Venice. In the 1980s, my grown children asked me to write down as many memories from my childhood as I could. In 1987 I sat down at our old Royal typewriter and began my first blog. It is reproduced here, as faithfully as possible. The dates are manufactured, as Blogger's tools only allow dates as far back as Jan 1, 1999.

Tuesday, September 14, 1999

Summertime

In the summertime we never wore shoes. It felt good to walk along the dirt road next, to the Japanese vegetable fields, where the dust was warm and dry and would poof up between my toes.

My older brothers and sisters Billy, Ralph, Mary, Paul and Andy would put Rachel, or me, into the big old wheelbarrow, put a blindforld over our eyes and after turning the barrow around several times, would take us to some place in the neighborhood, usually over several big bumps, then stop and make us guess where we were. We'd be inside one of the row of garages across the street on Rubens, or down by the irrigation ditch on Alla Road, or maybe back behind Daddy's workshop where the old anvil and forge were. It was always fun being blindfolded.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home