Childhood Memories

I am Doris Oden Darrow, born in the late 1920s in a coastal suburb of Los Angeles, California, known as Venice. In the 1980s, my grown children asked me to write down as many memories from my childhood as I could. In 1987 I sat down at our old Royal typewriter and began my first blog. It is reproduced here, as faithfully as possible. The dates are manufactured, as Blogger's tools only allow dates as far back as Jan 1, 1999.

Wednesday, September 15, 1999

Diving

Daddy had a big load of sand dumped on the ground inside his workshop. My friend Charlie Plumblee and I would stand on top of the anvil and jump onto the pile of sand, pretending we were diving into a pool. I don't think I ever dived onto my head!

In the spring when the grass was really high, Charlie and I pretended we were diving, this time, from an old car seat on the ground. Its springs gave us a good bounce. Charlie "dove" and landed on a broken bottle, gashing his pants and his bottom. I ran home, screaming for help. Mom and Paul came running, and Mom held Charlie's wound together while she and Paul (who could drive the Model A) took Charlie to the Venice Police Station where they could get First Aid. Charlie got a lot of stitches, was told.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home